Saturday, June 21, 2014

Checked on California Hive

Crawled up underneath and peered inside. Status the same. No building on the top bars in the bottom box that I placed a few weeks ago.

I have ordered some top bar special frames from BeeThinking. These are made for the Langstroth medium boxes. Matt Reed persuaded me that I need to use frames with my Lang boxes because of the extra length (verses true Warre sized boxes).  Hopefully, those will arrive here soon and I can retro-fit the bottom of the California hive.

We did observe some fighting outside the hive. Looks like maybe some robbing was taking place at the California hive. It is a pretty strong hive but the hive itself is located in the top two boxes. The box at the bottom is empty, and I think the bees did not figured out to guard it initially. (See the picture above.) Looks like they have guard bee there now.

Still hearing an occasional plinking sound as bees bounce off the bottom screen. Need to place a bottom on it if I can remember this task.

No comments:

Post a Comment