Saturday, June 14, 2014

Inspected the Cedar Hive

I was planning to put another box underneath the existing two.  I checked the hive about three weeks before and the top box was empty so I did not add the box then. Judging by the activity at the entrance, I figured by now the bees would have filled the top box. So I opened the hive up and took a look.

The Cedar Hive bees have started building a honey comb. However, they have built only one comb. Most of the rest of the box is still not filled. Therefore, I put the quilt back on top and replaced the telescoping roof.

I went by the California hive. It had an odd knocking noise inside. I recorded it here.

I posted a question on Permies to see if anyone can figure out what that noise might mean.  It sounds like an insect pinging against the walls of an empty box.

Next time I inspect, I think I will try peering up from the bottom and see if I can see anything up inside the hive that way.  I will have to remember to bring a flashlight.

1 comment: