Sunday, October 5, 2014

Bee Activity

I checked on my bees today. There was little activity at the California Hive. There were still a few bees going and coming with pollen. The last of the flowering for 2014 is here and the pollen in western North Carolina is getting low. Asters and Goldenrod are still in bloom, but they are becoming fewer and fewer in the landscape now as the nights turn colder. It was in the 40s on Saturday night. The Cedar Hive had a lot of bee activity. It looked like a high number of bees were taking orienting flights. The Queen of the Cedar Hive must have hatched some babies. I don't think the bees were disturbed because the pattern of the flights were close to the hive and returning. My observation of bees (which is of a new beekeeper) makes me think that these are the activities of an orientation flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment