Monday, January 21, 2013

Apiary Site

I worked on clearing an area on my property to as the site for the apiary.  Trimmed it up nicely with a chainsaw.  I will put some pictures up soon.

The apiary site is east-facing with a row of trees to the west for afternoon shade.  The site should have the bees in full sun in the morning and early afternoon.  It is mostly hidden from traffic on Green Creek Drive.

The electric fence is about twenty feet from the proposed hive location.  During the growing seasons, I will need to periodically trim weeds in the pasture near the hives.  I also run my tractor down the fence line.  Hopefully, those tasks can be done without wearing a bee suit for protection.  

The ground in the apiary is covered with pine needles.  The natural mulch should discourage grass growth to some degree.  Is it enough?

Need to figure out how other beekeepers trim weeds around their hives.  This must be a common issue for beekeepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment